Sunday, January 4, 2009
After the postponement yesterday, there was less surprise today as the race was delayed well in advance of the scheduled start time and then canceled before many of the teams even drove out to Kincaid. The team bundled up and went out to preview tomorrow's skate course- which has been cut back to a 10k and relocated to the easier classic course which doesn't drop down into the abyss known as the "icebox". The sun was still out and the trails were still perfect, but the temperature isn't rising, and people are wondering how long they will have to wait tomorrow until the skate race gets called. At this point the races have been condensed into four days of straight racing- tomorrow is the skate, then the sprint, then the classic, then the sprint relay. whew! Lucas and Sam said they were mentally and physically totally ready to race today, then both acknowledged that they were happy that they didn't have to fry their lungs in the cold. We will keep updating as the week goes on and we hope for some great racing in above-zero weather!